Nothing can dampen the pleasure of having a backyard pool or hot tub faster than a chemical accident.
With any body of water comes the necessity of chemicals to treat it so you can swim (or soak) without contracting germs and bacteria that could make you sick. A few precautions with the use of chemicals will help prevent needless accidents and injuries. The Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has reported that as many as 5,200 emergency room visits per year are due to pool chemical-related injuries, nearly half from backyard pools/hot tubs. By following some simple guidelines, you can have an accident free pool season!
Hazards can exist both in and out of the pool/hot tub. Many classic pool injuries result from ignoring basic, but critical safety rules when handling or storing chemicals. Inhaling fumes when opening chemical containers, mixing chemicals, pre-dissolving chemicals, or accidental splashing in the eyes.
Common sense and safe practices can prevent most injuries when taking care of your backyard pool/hot tub.
- Carefully read all product labels before using or storing chemicals.
- Wear appropriate safety equipment such as goggles, gloves and mask before storing or using chemicals.
- Be sure to keep all chemicals out of the reach of children and pets, preferably in a locked area.
- Do not mix chemicals with each other or other materials. Something as common as pop can be very dangerous if spilled on chemicals!
- Only pre-dissolve chemicals if required by manufacturer directions. Add chemicals to water, never visa versa.
- Store chemicals separately to avoid combustibles.
- Avoid high heat and sunlight, rain and excessive moisture.
- Use caution when opening liquid containers to avoid splashing.
- Store liquids away from granular or tablet products in case of leaks.
- Don’t smoke in the vicinity of pool/hot tub chemicals.
- When applying the chemicals to the water directly, do so in an area where the wind or ventilation carry product dust or fumes away from yourself or others.
- Don’t mix old chemicals with new chemicals.
- Clean any tools and equipment (scoops, buckets, etc) used to handle one chemical before using with a different chemical.
- Always wash hands after handling chemicals.
Swimming pools and hot tubs are a fantastic addition to your outdoor living area. Some chemicals necessary to maintain your pool and or hot tub water have options available that are safer to use than the classic pool/hot tub chemicals. Ask our staff about alternative treatment options available! Take time to slow down and think while using chemicals in and around your pool or spa this season. We want everyone to have a safe and enjoyable time relaxing in your perfect water escape!
Call Aqua Palace Today (712) 329-4180!
Want more information on why Aqua Palace is part of Aquatech? Contact us. Aqua Palace is family owned and operated, offering above ground and in ground pools, hot tubs, spas and saunas specializing in pool design, installation and repair to local (Omaha and Council Bluffs) and long distance residents (within the US). We are the only Marquis dealer in the Omaha Metro Area with the largest showroom east of the continental divide. Not located in Omaha? No worries, check out our online store for pool and spa chemicals, supplies and accessories.