There are numerous medical publications regarding the effectiveness of hot water therapy found in hot tubs. The wide range of conditions that benefit from it include arthritis, low back pain, sciatica, shoulder pain, and even fibromyalgia. So how does it work? What’s the science behind hot water therapy in your Marquis hot tub?
I’m Dr. Daniel Smith D.C., D.PSc, and I am the owner of Omaha Chronic Conditions Center. We empower people to take control of their lives and their health through proper education and great care. So let’s talk a bit about hot water therapy. Today’s “healthcare” is specialized for acute emergency situations like heart attacks, strokes, and car accidents. Unfortunately that makes up about 10% of all medical expenses in the United States. The other 90% is chronic degenerative diseases. That means things like arthritis, diabetes, fibromyalgia, peripheral neuropathy, obesity, high blood pressure, cardiovascular disease, and more. The current standard of care fails to recognize the root cause of most of these conditions.
One thing that almost all degenerative conditions have in common is a lack of oxygen. Sometimes this is due to medications, poor nutrition, or breathing discrepancies, but the bottom line is that we all need oxygen to survive. Every cell, every organ, every muscle, every nerve, and every joint needs oxygen. Have I emphasized the importance of oxygen yet? Hot water therapy helps benefits your body in many ways, but I have chosen to discuss three ways a hot tub can provide a very therapeutic life for you and your family.
This occurs when the body gets hot. This term also means further opening of the blood vessels. In turn, this creates an increase in tissue perfusion and provides the tissue with essential proteins, nutrients, and oxygen.
The body has different types of receptors to sense temperature, vibration, and pain. One type is called thermo-receptors, and when stimulated can sense hot and cold. By stimulating the nerves you are actually creating a neural reflex within the body that stimulates not only the nerves but the brain as well, further stimulating tissue perfusion with life sustaining oxygen and nutrients.
When performing exercises in water we are able to take out the effects of gravity. Gravity can cause the weight of our own body to decrease joint spaces in our ankles, knees, hips, and spine. When performing active movements in water we are able to lubricate the joints and move them through a full range of motion without the effects of gravity. This helps to “feed” the joints with nutrients, hyaluronic acid, and synovial fluid.
These are just 3 of the many benefits of hot water therapy. We at Omaha Chronic Conditions Center believe that the effects of hot water therapy from a hot tub in conjunction with functional medicine and proper nutrition can help resolve conditions such as fibromyalgia, chronic joint pain, peripheral neuropathy, arthritis, and many other chronic degenerative diseases. Your health is a direct reflection of the choices you make, so make the right choice and see the professionals at Aqua Palace Spa & Pool to find the right fit for you today!
Take a look at all the Marquis hot tub models that we have to choose from here! Make plans to stop by soon and let us educate you further on how Marquis is not just a hot tub, but the most therapeutic brand on the market today!
Dr. Daniel Smith graduated from Blair High School in Blair, Nebraska and went on to graduate from Logan College in Chesterfield, Missouri with a Doctorate of Chiropractic, and a Masters in Sports Science and Rehabilitation. He is also a Doctor of Pastoral Medicine and is Board Certified in Integrative Medicine. He is full body certified in Active Release Techniques® and also the Fascial Distortion Model™. Dr. Smith’s background includes sports training and recovery, soft tissue treatment, and chiropractic. Being an innovator in the health and wellness industry, Dr. Smith constantly pursues post graduate education in Functional Wellness, Functional Neurology, and Functional Endocrinology, which aids him in understanding and supporting metabolic imbalances that can create a multitude of health problems.
Dr. Daniel Smith D.C., D.PSc.
Omaha Chronic Conditions Center
14301 FNB Parkway Suite 100