Use of Chlorine is one of the most popular methods of killing bacteria. While Chlorine does a great job of killing the bacteria, it doesn’t necessarily get rid of particles in the water. Lack of shocking your pool often enough will usually cause a distinct strong smell from the pool. That smell is actually the odor of dead and decaying bacteria that the Chlorine has killed, but is still dead in the water.
This is when Shock comes in. This chemical is used to oxidize the matter that the Chlorine has killed and turns it into a vapor, which then gases itself out of the pool water. When shocking the pool, it is not uncommon to get a strong odor or even see a fizzing sensation on the surface. Its’ very important to only shock at night after the sun has gone down as most pool shock is not sunlight stabilized and will burn off quickly if added during the day (giving it less time to actually work in the pool before burning off.)
Now the question is which shock should one use. Aqua Palace sells multiple kinds of oxidizers, but the two most popular are GLB’s “Supersonic” and “Oxy-Brite” which both are included in the Aqua Palace seasonal chemical kits! Supersonic is a chlorine shock that is added In the evening to burn of the desired bacteria. This shock will usually increase your chlorine level by the next morning and it is recommended that you retest the following afternoon (not first thing in the morning) to see what your chlorine level is at prior to entering the pool again. Oxy-Brite is a non-chlorine shock that can be used to rid the pool of the harmful bacteria prior to swimming or even in the middle of a pool party. Oxy-Brite will not add to your chlorine levels, which is why you can re-enter the pool just 15 short mintues after applying it across the surface of the pool! is great for a quick shock before a gathering or during a pool party this summer!